We used to have Savory Bread Pudding for weekend breakfast when we were kids and call it Bread Pizza…everything mish mashed together in a bowl and spread on an oiled hot tawa like a pancake…golden crisp on both sides…then came the oven…a few years later came the internet…they met…fell madly in love…and gave birth to this Avatar.
Savory Bread Pudding
- Bread, Cubed, 6-7 slices
- Milk, about 1/2 cup
- Onion, chopped, 1
- Tomato, chopped, 1
- Mushrooms, chopped, 3-4
- Peppers, green, yellow & red, chopped, about 1 cup
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Red chili flakes, to taste (optional)
- Butter, melted, about 2 tbsp
- Cheese, grated, about a tbsp (more, if you want)
- Oil/Butter, to grease the baking dish
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Grease a baking dish with oil/butter. Spread half of the bread at the base and sprinkle with salt+ pepper. Followed by a layer of all the veggies sprinkled again with salt+ pepper (leave about 2 tbsp to spread on top). Final layer of bread and the veggies you had kept aside + salt & pepper.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs with milk, salt, pepper & red chili flakes. Pour beaten eggs over the top and then melted butter. Leave aside for 10-15 minutes so that bread soaks up the egg mix.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 200°C. After 30 minutes or so, remove the foil, spread the grated cheese on top and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes more.
- If you want to increase the quantity of the mushrooms, saute them first in a pan so that they don’t release excessive water in the dish while baking.
- If you want to add garlic, saute onion and garlic first before adding to the dish.