Recipe moved here
Szechuan Honey Chicken
- Chicken, used curry cut pieces since that’s all I had, normally make it with boneless chicken (either all thigh or all breast meat so that the cooking time is the same )
- Onions, cut into 4 pieces and then every layer separated
- Peppers , cut into 1” X 1” chunks, I only had the Red one that day
- Spring onions, Only the green portion
- Garlic, Chopped , 1 tbsp
- Ginger, Chopped, 1 tbsp
- Corn starch, 2 tsp dissolved in ½ cup water
For the marinade:
(specifying measurements to give an idea of proportion, adjust to taste and/or qty needed accordingly)
- Schezwan Sauce , 3 tbsp ( I used ‘Ching’s Secret’ bottled sauce)
- Soy Sauce, ½ tsp
- Honey, 1 tbsp
- Oil, 1 tsp
- Garlic paste, 1 heaped tsp
- Red Chilli Flakes,1 tsp
Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and rub well on the chicken pieces. Leave to marinade in the fridge for a cpl of hours if using curry cut pieces. Can start cooking immediately if using boneless chicken pieces.
Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. Lightly fry onions and peppers until tender, remove and keep aside.
Add ginger, garlic, a pinch of sugar to the remaining oil and stir till they lightly caramelize.
Take out the chicken from the marinade and add to the wok. (and reserve the marinade) . Cook on high till the chicken starts browning.
Cover and cook till almost done.(no need to cover and cook if using boneless chicken).
The chicken will release a lot of water when cooked covered –remove the cover, dry the water a bit and add back the onions and peppers.
Add back the reserved marinade, corn starch mix and cook for another few minutes.
Switch off the flame, toss in the spring onions and mix well. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
When using boneless chicken, I at times sprinkle roasted salted peanuts before serving.
Vegetable Fried Rice
Recipe moved here