Kheer Kamala…or Orange Kheer…a traditional Bong sweet dish that I made today to mark the start of Bengali New year…wishing everyone Shubo NoboBorsho ( that’s Happy New Year in Bangla)…May your year be filled be love, peace and happiness.
Kheer Kamala (Orange Kheer)
- Milk, 1/ 2 liter
- Oranges/ Mandarins, 1-2
- Sugar, 2-3 tbsp or to taste
Peel the oranges, seperate the segments and remove the membrane and seeds from every segment.
Break/Chop the oranges into bite size pieces and keep aside.
In a thick bottom non stick pan add milk and bring it to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium and stirring continuously, continue heating the milk till it reduces to half in quantity.
Add sugar and stir, till it dissolves completely in the milk.
Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Let the milk rest in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
Add the orange chunks and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Serve chilled.
- This is not a thick kheer. The consistency is like a thick milkshake. You can use full fat milk if you want but unlike other Indian desserts it is not necessary. ( I always use toned milk and it works well for this one)
- The milk must be cooled completely before adding oranges otherwise the milk will curdle.
- You can add saffron, if you want, after taking the milk off heat.
- You can garnish with almonds and pistachios.