Cashew Chicken with Basil is another one of those ‘10 minute’ recipes that I have been putting up lately…this phase shall pass soon enough but till then be a lazy queen/king and enjoy all that extra time doing other stuff…make time for that spa appointment or go watch a movie…the home, the kitchen and rest of the stuff will be still here when you get back…I am off to watch second movie of the day for me.
Cashew Chicken with Basil
- Chicken, boneless thighs, 300 gm
- Onion, sliced, 1 large
- Bell peppers, 1” square pieces, as much or as little as you want ( I only had red)
- Plain Cashew nuts, broken (so that Hubz feels I have added enough even though I haven’t), a handful and then some more!!
- Garlic, sliced, 3-4 cloves
- Dried red chillies, 4-5 (or fresh if you can find)
- Basil leaves, about a cup
- Dark Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp
- Thai Chilli paste, about 1 tbsp (if you don’t have this, soak some dried red chillies in water and then grind adding some vinegar and brown sugar)
- Fish sauce, 1 tbsp
- Brown Sugar, 1 tsp
- Oil, 2 tbsp
Remove any excess fat and wash the chicken. Wipe dry and cut into bite sized pieces.
Leave it to marinate with the chilli paste, sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Keep aside.
Soak the dried red chillies in a little warm water. When they go soft, remove and cut diagonally into slightly large pieces. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a wok/large pan over the medium-high heat and add about a teaspoon of oil. Add cashew nuts, and fry until golden then remove from the pan and keep aside.
Wipe the pan clean and add the balance oil.
Add the chillies, garlic, onions and fry till onions go soft.
Add in the chicken with the marinade and toss around for a few minutes on each side till is almost done.
Add in bell peppers and half of the basil leaves and mix well.
Cook till chicken gets done.
Check for seasonings and adjust to taste.
Add in the fried cashews and rest of the basil leaves.
Mix well and serve over steamed rice.
- Regular sugar would do in case you don’t have brown or palm sugar.
- Make this healthier by using chicken breasts and/or adding any/all veggies of your choice