Chivda (Indian trail mix)
- Chivda/Poha/Beaten rice, the regular one or the thin one, 1 cup
- Peanuts, raw or roasted, 2 tbsp
- Raisins, 1-2 tbsp (optional, I don’t add)
- Oil, 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds, ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves, a few
- Green Chilies, finely chopped, to taste
- Turmeric Powder, 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida, a pinch (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Sugar, ¾ tsp or to taste or skip it completely
Grind the sugar to a fine powder. Keep aside.
Dry roast the chivda in a non stick pan on low heat till it crisps up. Keep aside.
If using raw peanuts, dry roast in the same pan. Keep aside. Skins off or on , up to you.
(Can use your microwave oven for both these steps, checking and stirring after every minute or so)
Heat oil in the pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds start spluttering, add in the asafoetida, green chilies, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
Lower the heat; add the roasted chivda, peanuts and raisins. Mix till all the chivda takes on the yellow colour.
Take it off heat and add in the sugar. Mix well.
Cool and store in an airtight container or grab whatever bowl you can get your hand on first and munch munch munch.