Terung Masak Lemak (Malaysian style Eggplant in Coconut Milk)
- Asian Eggplants, long thin ones, either purple or green, 4-5
- Garlic, 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
- Shallots, finely sliced, 4 -5 or Onion, finely sliced, 1 large,
- Coconut Milk, 500 ml
- Turmeric, ½ to ¾ tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- Fresh Red chilies, finely chopped, to taste
- Fresh Coriander leaves, to garnish
Slices eggplants vertically and then cut into about 2 inch long sticks. Soak in chilled salted water and keep aside till needed.
Heat the oil in a pan/wok. Add in garlic and shallots and fry till onion gets translucent.
Add in the turmeric and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and add drained out eggplant. Let the curry simmer over low heat till eggplant gets soft but, not mushy.
Add salt to taste, give a final stir and switch off the heat.
Sprinkle with red chilies and coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice.
If you want to cut through the richness of the coconut milk curry you can either add a few pineapple chunks to the curry while it is cooking or serve the curry and rice with lemon wedges on the side.