Sweet Corn Thoran (Sweet Corn stir fried with Coconut)
- Sweet Corn Kernels, about 1 cup (fresh tastes better but frozen also works. If using frozen corn, thaw first.)
- Urad dal/ Split black gram lentils/White lentils, ½ tsp (optional)
- Fresh Ginger, roughly pounded into a paste, ½ tsp
- Fresh Green chilli, seeds and membrane removed, finely chopped, 1
- Curry leaves, 4-5
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh Coconut, grated or shredded, 2 tbsp (if using frozen, thaw first)
- Sesame seeds, 1-2 tsp
- Water, couple of tablespoons
- Oil, 1-2 tsp
In a pan/skillet/kadhai, toast the sesame seeds till they just begin to change colour. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
In the same pan, heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add in the dal.
Once the dal starts changing colour, add in the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Sauté for about 10 seconds.
Add the corn and salt. Sauté for about a minute
Sprinkle in the water and cover to let the corn cook in the steam for 3-4 minutes.
Add in the coconut, mix well and cover. Let the coconut cook with corn for a couple of minutes.
Switch off the heat once the corn is cooked. Toss in the toasted sesame seeds and dig in!!