Easy Almond Cake
- Blanched Almond Flour (U.S)/ Ground Almonds (U.K.) , 150gms (both use blanched and skinned almonds, please don’t use Almond meal as that is much coarser and almonds are not skinned)
- Regular All purpose Flour, 50gms
- Baking Powder, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1/8 tsp
- Orange Zest, 1 tbsp (optional)
- Unsalted Butter, at room temperature, 110gms
- Sugar, 175gms (I switch between Caster Sugar and Demerara Sugar depending on what I have on hand, have used both with good results)
- Eggs, 2
- Buttermilk, 3 tbsp (based on the quantity needed, if you don’t have buttermilk on hand just used thinned out yoghurt or sour cream)
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp
- Flaked Almonds, a handful
To serve (optional)
- Icing Sugar
Grease and line a 20cm/8 inch round cake tin.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Sift the ground almonds, regular flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the orange zest, if using. Keep aside.
Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl; once fluffy, add eggs to the mix, one by one. Mix with a spatula until smooth
Add in the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
Fold in the dry ingredients gently without over mixing.
Spoon and the mixture into prepared tin and top up with flaked almonds in a ring shape.
Bake at 180C for 35-45 minutes till a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Let rest for 5 minutes before digging in!
Dust with icing sugar to serve.